A Little Story Note; Way Kambas National Park

Everybody has known that Lampung has many catchy tourism spots, not only for the beach but also its culture and national park. Way Kambas is one of the most famous national parks in Indonesia. It is located in East Lampung region, Lampung province, Indonesia. Way Kambas National Park is well-known by its elephant protection program. Many scholars throughout Indonesia and from foreign countries visit Way Kambas to research and learn about elephant protection and it is such a pride for me as an Indonesian.

The last time I visited Way Kambas was in 2013, it has been 4 years now. The last condition I saw at that time was that Way Kambas National Park had improved very well in terms of treatment towards the elephants, the facility of the national park including the quality of the field officers there, well, at least that was my personal opinion. I can’t comment more than that because in my lifetime, I go there for only twice, and that is included for 2013 visitation. If you ask me about how was my impression in my 2013 visit, that was so awesome. I thought that it was a blessing for Lampung to have Way Kambas, because here, you could watch directly the elephant, fed them up and played with them. As the information, Way Kambas has trained for nearly 300 elephants and those have been sent to many zoos in Indonesia. I had the chance to interact directly with one of the elephant calves namely as.. who... I didn’t remember her name anyway (hehe). For the first time I approached her, it was so nervous because I still thought that elephant was still a wild animal and could attack everyone suddenly even though they had been trained well and guided by the trainer. I only took picture for about 2 or 3 times and touched her for only 2 times (regardless the trainer had said that the calf had been calmed).

For those of you who really want to spend your holiday to Way Kambas National Park, especially for Java residents, you can go to Lampung via ferry ship/boat from Merak to Bakau Heni. Or maybe it will be better if you contact the travel agents who serve the service for Way Kambas traveling package, I think it will be safer and cheaper. But if you still choose the first option, after you arrive at Bakau Heni port, you can go to Bandar Lampung by getting into the buss/travel cars. The transportation cost from Bakau to Bandar Lampung is from IDR 23.000/passenger (economic public bus) to IDR 45.000/passenger (via travel agents, who will pick you up by minibus). After you arrive at Bandar Lampung city, you can find out the travel agents who have Way Kambas traveling package, I am sure there will be many agents that you can find, you can get the information through manual or online search.

The travel agents will pick you up until the destination place, and don’t forget to pay for the entrance cost when you get into the entrance gate of Way Kambas National Park (I also didn’t remember how much it was, maybe IDR 20.000/visitor). Enjoy your holiday at Way Kambas National Park! J  

Comments